Since today is Thanksgiving, I decided to have some of CCD's closest friends & contributors share the 5 things in their lives that they are truly thankful for... not family, or boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses etc.... the real stuff they need to keep them going. With no further ado, I present the comic book kid himself... Cousin James West's 5 Things That I Am Thankful For!!!
5) My iPod Touch - Oh, iPod. Whatever would I do without you? Whether it’s the entertainment of downloading music in order to fill you up, or to drown out whatever noises may be annoying me in the outside world, you always come in handy. For that, I thank you. (Currently listening to: Passin’ Me By- Pharcyde, and the Thanksgiving Song- Adam Sandler).
4) Indoor Plumbing - Self explanatory. Where would we be without it?
3) Comic Books - Oh, you joyous bundles of entertainment. Thank you, thank you, for teaching me how to read, providing me with an imagination that spans an entire universe separate from our own, showing me characters that I can relate to in times of need and look up to in times of aspiration, and just for being good fun since 1938.
2) Harry Potter - I recently saw the latest film at the midnight opening- I must say, it truly reawakened by love for Harry. I started reading the first book around 98/99, pretty much before everyone (something I brag about often- also the fact that I dressed up like him in third grade and no one knew who he was). However, I have only read each of the books once- so the last time I read anything was about 3 years ago. Seeing everything in the newest movie spark memories of Harry that I had forgotten (something the sixth movie failed to do) reminded me of two things- One, that I need to reread all the books, and two, how important Harry has been, as I have essentially grown up with the character for over half my life (our ages pretty much coincided with all the books). So thank you, Harry Potter.
1) The Christmas Season - Always starts the day after Thanksgiving in my household, and what a happy time it is. Easily my favorite part of the year. Can’t wait to carry out all the festivities this year…
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Good choices, Mr. West.ReplyDelete
I caught the new Potter Thanksgiving Eve. Awesome! Can't believe I have to wait until next year to see how everything wraps up. I'm even more impressed that I was able to stay away from all the spoilers that all you book-readers know, that I don't, since I haven't read more than 10 pages of Potter.
I know I know..I gotta read 'em. But, I'm digging watching them unfold onscreen without any prior knowledge.
Enjoy your holiday.
Damn, I didn't realize that Potter is favorite here at CCD. I was always under the impression that they are children's books. I'll have to put them on my list of books to read after the WoT series.ReplyDelete
Great list Mr. West! I recently started reading comics again, but since I am so far behind and did not know where to start, I picked up the Ultimates series. I finished the X-Men line up until Ultimatum and now I am currently on issue 41 of Ultimate Spider-Man. Not bad so far. What do you think of the Ultimate series?
Jeff- If it's anything like the books, the next movie will be x10 as good as the last one...it's essentially nothing but pure action. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Joe- Definitely check out the Potter books! I'll be the first to admit that the first two are very child-oriented, but the progression of the books is phenomenal in that as Harry grows older, so do the tone and the nature of the books. Highly recommended.
As for the Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man is astounding. I haven't read too many besides that, but I think the Ultimate universe is a pretty interesting concept in that there's really no boundaries as to where it can go...and Ultimate Spider-Man definitely gets better from where you are now! Just wait for Ultimate Carnage, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Dr. Strange...it's great!